MSM Technology is seeking a Business Development Director to join our dynamic and growing leadership team. The position will entail a highly collaborative, influential, and experienced senior leader responsible for initiating and closing sales opportunities, significantly accelerate MSM’s growth and profitability and help fulfill the company’s vision to transform IT and cybersecurity for the Federal Government.
This person will be a key member of the leadership team and will be responsible for developing MSM’s pipeline to drive significant organic growth and market leadership. Candidate will work with leaders across the organization to ensure strategic business plans are successfully executed to win and grow at scale. This position will report to the company President.
The candidate will share overall responsibility for business development strategy, planning and execution for opportunities with Federal Government customers including but not limited to the U.S. Army, Navy, DISA, DHS and U.S. Marine Corps. The successful candidate will demonstrate the experience and career path trajectory required to manage the full scope of business practices required to manage a book of business, including capture, business development, pipeline development, client management, and proposal development responsibilities.
The successful candidate understands the missions of the respective Agencies and their cultures, organizational components, leadership, major programs and their challenges. This role effectively encompasses three primary areas of responsibility, (1) Business Development, (2) Capture Management and (3) Proposal Development support.
The candidate is responsible for leading target Agency strategic planning and positioning with full support from a corporate infrastructure that includes, capture management, proposal development and management, subject matter expertise covering a broad range of portfolio capabilities. The candidate will also be responsible for assessing opportunities to eliminate or move forward through MSM’s pre-award process, pipeline metrics and qualifying opportunities. The Business Development responsibilities include opportunity identification, qualification and maturation to assist MSM in determining pursue no pursue decisions. The Business Development responsibilities require the candidate to lead the throughout the qualification process and stay deeply involved in developing the company’s win strategy.
This is a senior level business development position and therefore it is expected this individual will manage a dynamic, multi-year pipeline of opportunities in various stages of maturity.
- Create, administer, and implement the business development strategies and tactics for the company.
- Oversee and implement full sales cycle, including market research, needs analysis, pitch, closing, renewal and upsell.
- Establish and achieve sales goals, metrics, and milestones; track and report on progress and success.
- Market analysis, strategic business planning including identification, qualification, and marketing aspects of a complete capture that will lead to the award of major programs.
- This position will include oversight of customer contact and positioning; teaming interactions; and coordination with other internal/external business development.
- This position requires the candidate to engage with existing programs to understand current execution and identify improvement and growth opportunities.
- Experience with customer relationship management and opportunity tracking as well as experience with a variety of contract types including cost plus fixed fee (CPFF), fixed price (FFP), times & material (T&M), and performance based contracting are required.
- Respond to RFPs, review MSAs and other contractual agreements, and work with Project Management team to write proposals and SOWs, including the preparation of project budgets.
- Support the execution of MSM operations to meet overall business goals and objectives
Education and Experience
- Bachelors preferred; 10+ years of related Federal business development, sales and Government contracting experience.
- A demonstrated, sustained ability and reputation of winning complex, prime integration services or systems engineering contract awards with values over $7M that meets and exceeds challenging goals and quotas is required.
- Experience leading and executing full sales cycle (prospecting through closing and retention/upsell).
- Past experience with U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, DISA and/or DHS including, customer relationships, and an understanding of the buying trends of the agency is considered an advantage.
- Past experience that demonstrates the ability to contribute to fast-paced business leadership teams will be a plus.
- The candidate must have a reputation for being able to build and work within high performance teams in a matrix-management environment.
- Recognized individual in the Federal Government market is preferred.
- Recognized and profitable business development expert delivering IT solutions i.e. Cloud, Cyber, and emerging technologies based solutions leveraging Agile and DevOps principles.
- Fully competent in Microsoft suite i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; fully competent with Federal market BD tools such as GovWin; and able to learn new technology systems quickly.
- Identify, evaluate, solicit, and follow-up with targets through multiple sales, communications, and marketing methods (eg, cold calling, conference attendance, social media, public relations, campaigns, presentations, etc.)
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting Federal Government contracting
- The successful candidate will be able to reference a portfolio of submittals and awards that include experience in all types of government contracts (FFP, T&M, Cost Plus) and full array of capture strategies (major re-competes, incumbent capture, sole source, etc.).
- Ability to present a professional image to management, staff, clients and customers, end-users, and other outside contacts.
- Candidate must have exceptional and highly effective internal and external customer service, communication and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate well with senior and executive management within MSM, partners, teammates, subcontractors and with federal customers/stakeholders at the highest levels.